Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Health Department reports two new confirmed cases

Residents urged to keep their guard up

Monroe County did not stay without any active COVID-19 cases for very long as two new confirmed positive cases were reported during the weekend of Aug. 1-2.

According to the Monroe County Health Department, the cases were a result of community spread, meaning they were not a result of travel or a longterm care facility.

The two cases are unrelated.

“(COVID-19) is still there,” said Monroe County Health Department Public Information Office Amanda Sefert. “We can not let our guard down. Just because it is not in our community, that does not mean it is not in other counties and communities.”

The two recent confirmed cases give Monroe County 91 confirmed and probable cases. Of those, 73 are listed as recovered, and 16 have died as a result of COVID-19.

The number of deaths increased last week as one individual who had been listed as recovered tested positive for the virus before dying from the virus.

Sefert said the individual had two negative tests for the virus before being tested again and getting a positive result.

“We don’t know why that happened. It has happened before,” Sefert said. “The (individual) was recovered according to CDC guidelines and then came back positive later.”

Sefert said many individuals in a long-term care facility would be tested for the virus if admitted to the hospital.

“That’s why we need to keep our guard up,” she said, “especially with sports and schools starting back. We want to keep this disease at a minimum.”