SOLSD proposes new core values and new vision
After much debate and discussion, the Switzerland of Ohio Local School District Board of Education has developed a draft proposal for new core values and a new vision to use as the North Star of our journey towards improving learning outcomes for students.
The faculty met soon after and developed a mission statement to guide our organization toward that vision. The Board of Education would like to invite members of the public to read its proposal and attend one of five meetings to comment on the draft and discuss the future of the district. Those dates are as follows:
• April 18, 2017 – 5 p.m. at Beallsville Campus*
• April 19, 2017 – 5 p.m. at River Campus*
• April 20, 2017 – 5 p.m. at Woodsfield Elementary School*
• April 24, 2017 – 6 p.m. at Skyvue Elementary School
• April 27, 2017 – 6 p.m. at Powhatan Elementary School
(*On these nights, please stay after to participate in our Little Swiss Night for future students.)
SOLSD Core Values:
• Uniqueness –SOLSD is truly a unique school district with challenges and strengths. As an organization, we will have to develop our own path forward to solve our unique problems. This value also reminds us that each child is different and we aspire to diagnostically develop instruction that will help each individual child succeed.
• Community – Part of what makes our district special is the sense of community in the various townships that make up our attendance area. We aren’t just strangers but interdependent members of a community committed to rearing our students with the values we received from our families and friends past.
• Equitable – All of our children should receive equitable funding, extracurricular opportunities and academic courses on their path to college and career readiness. Equitable does not mean the same. We acknowledge that schools will have differences while presenting an overall equal value to the students learning within.